Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Modern Therapy

Grass Patterns
Getting out with another photographer is so rewarding. Being able to just go for a walk in the woods, talk a little shop mixed with some conversation about work, family, goals, dreams, etc. is refreshing; it is energizing creatively and spiritually.

Forest Path
The image on the left makes the hike appear very secluded, which it actually isn't, but it appears to be.

On a cold, dark, foggy day a hour before sunset the path through the woods appears remote, secluded and even a little threatening.

The hike was anything but threatening. It was a relaxing, welcome relief from the stress I was going through at the time.

Due to some personal conflicts with my job, I made the choice over my Christmas vacation to apply for a new position at a different agency. I interviewed, was offered and accepted the new position.

All the time during the interview process my stress at work grew to the point that I was losing sleep and experiencing physical symptoms of stress, only getting only a couple of hours of sleep each night. I wasn't creating anything of real value. Two days after I gave my notice to my employer, Nathan called me up and invited me out for a couple of hours to shoot.

Frosted
Hovering











Nathan Smith
Above is a shot of Nathan Smith of PhotoNate.com as he gets his shot. I got to spend a couple of hours with him just meandering through the woods and various fields of Minto-Brown Island Park.

Thin Layers

A three mile hike through the woods is a great way to clear your head of all of the shit that life can toss at you. Work, bills, family, responsibilities... all of these can make life difficult if you don't find a balance. After my afternoon in the woods, I slept better than night than I had in months.

Seven
My headache eased up for the first time in months. My creative juices are flowing stronger than ever.

Thanks N8 for getting me out of the house and just chatting with me as we walked through the cold landscape of Minto-Brown.

If you are ever having a rough go, like we all do from time to time, grab a friend and your camera and disappear into the woods for a couple of hours. Even if you don't grab your camera, you might be surprised how much therapy you can get without paying $250 an hour. Friends can provide an ear that money simply can't buy.

No comments: