Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bomb Scare in Macy's Parking Garage in Downtown Salem, Oregon

What a weird, good, scary and enjoyable day - yup all in one day. 

It started with trip to a possible future location of a studio and ended with a bomb scare at Macy's department store in downtown Salem, Oregon. Somewhere in between all of that we also had our first snow fall in 2011 and then some sleet and ice.
At 4:15 PM, my wife and I went to dinner at Browns Towne. Great burger and music playing. Then we arrived back at Macy's. I said my goodbyes to my wife and headed to the parking garage. Cops were everywhere. I was able to get drive out of the parking garage and then drove around the block and parked on High Street, walked back into Macy's and learned that a suspicious package had been found.
Macy's evacuated the store of customers, but forced the employees to stay indoors while the package was investigated and eventually destroyed. I found it odd to make employees inside of a building where the attached parking garage contained a suspected bomb. I mean the package was a black nylon bag with the word bomb written on it, according to what a police officer told my wife.
In standing outside I moved to the south side of the building and saw a bomb squad van and a woman staying near the police tape; in which I walked towards the van. I started shooting photos and video with my phone. The woman and I started talking and it turns out that she is the Public Safety Reporter for the Statesmen Journal. Her name is Stacey. It was nice to talk with her and learn a little about the glamorous and not-so-glamorous side of being a reporter. It was nice to have someone to talk to during the ordeal.
If you want to full story of what happened, Stacey has the scoop. You can more of her work at http://www.statesmentjournal.com/crimeandcourts or you can follow her on Twitter at @sjpublicsafety. Enjoy the photos.

No comments: