Monday, December 20, 2010

Coming to Terms with the Inevitable

The State of Oregon Unemployment system sucks. The State of Oregon Child Support Services (Department of Justice branch) sucks even more. I am becoming a firm believer that the State of Oregon (at least the governmental agencies) sucks period. But enough with how bad Oregon, as a state sucks. How about them Ducks; also from Oregon. How about On The Rocks, also from Oregon (even the same University as the ducks). How about them Blazers... oh that's right, they suck to. Trying to stay positive.

After several weeks of shooting various cool things, like Help Portrait, the Cascade Mountains (which do not suck) and even the Mission Mill Museum, I took an evening to lament about where I am going with my photography. I learned that what I want to shoot, which everything under the sun and then a few things as not under the sun, is quite different from what people are willing to pay me to shoot, which happens to be absolutely nothing thus far.

I am so damn tired of shooting for free and having a butt-load of expectations from these recipients of free services. How much is a butt-load you may ask. I have that unit of measure nailed down and defined. While helping a friend move, a dresser drawer opened and spilled some screws on the ground. I said, "Hey a butt-load of screws fell on the ground." When my friend asked how many were in a butt-load, I didn't know. So I went on a mission to find out. I picked up each screw, one at a time. One... two... three... four... five... six... seven... eight. Eight is the official count for a butt-load. So now you know.

In lieu of doing anything free again for some time, I have spent the last few days studying glasses at my favorite hangout, Freddies. I studied the rim, the outside, and occasionally the inside bottoms... okay I lied. I studied the inside bottoms a lot.

Now these glasses aren't the glasses used to improve one's vision, although the contents have been known to particularly ugly people look better. I have been using my Droid to photograph various drinking glasses and I have found a particularly keen interest in the subject of glassware. I guess that glassware might be too definitive of a term, as most of my subjects have actually been made of plastic. Here is my six favorites from the last couple of days... take a look and let me know what you think.








 Iceland is looking real good this time of year.

No comments: