Sunday, September 9, 2007

Enlightenment

This picture was taken as the result of a bet with my dad while visiting my parents in Fort Collins, Colorado. My dad said it was impossible to take a picture of lightning "because by the time you see the lightning and pressed the button it will be too late." I bet him $20 I could get a picture of lightning and he accepted. Using his camera and four rolls of his film I snapped this and a series of less impressive photos of lightning. Needless to say I made $20 and he was out four rolls of film, development cost and the $20.

This was shot freehand standing in the backyard, not the smartest thing to do during a storm. I used an Olympus 500 series 35mm camera with a five second delay on the shutter and stood next to a short fence to limit the amount of blur. You will see some blurring around the street and house lights as a result of not having a tripod, but I was happy with how this shot turned out none-the-less. This particular photo spawned my interest in photography as a hobby.

No comments: